Question:  A credit card company got a judgment against me.  I paid it.  Can I get it off my credit?

Answer:  Under Illinois law a person who has paid a judgment, or obtained a release or satisfaction, is entitled to have the judgment vacated and the case dismissed.  This has to be done by filing a motion with the court.

If a judgment is vacated, it can no longer be reported on your credit report.  Send a copy of the order vacating the judgment to the 3 main credit bureaus with a letter requesting removal.

This does not affect the “tradeline”  for the debt on which the judgment is based.  It will show as a paid or settled collection item until 7 years after chargeoff / 7.5 years from the default that led to chargeoff.